El Chapo

US


NEW YORK (Reuters) – A U.S. judge on Monday postponed the trial of accused Mexican drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman by two months, to Nov. 5, after Guzman’s lawyer said he needed more time to review evidence recently received from prosecutors.

FILE PHOTO: Recaptured drug lord Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman is escorted by soldiers at the hangar belonging to the office of the Attorney General in Mexico City, Mexico January 8, 2016. REUTERS/Henry Romero/File Photo

U.S. District Judge Brian Cogan in Brooklyn said the delay was warranted by the “voluminous” evidence that prosecutors handed over on July 3. He denied a request by Guzman’s lawyer, Eduardo Balarezo, to bar prosecutors from using evidence that they had not produced by June 26.

Jury selection had been scheduled for Sept. 5. In a court filing last week, Balarezo had said prosecutors’ late production of evidence “obliterates any semblance of due process and Mr. Guzman’s ability to have a fair trial.”

John Marzulli, a spokesman for U.S. Attorney Richard Donoghue in Brooklyn, declined to comment. Balarezo could not immediately be reached.

Guzman, 61, has been in solitary confinement since being extradited to the United States from Mexico in January 2017 to face drug trafficking and conspiracy charges.

He was known internationally as the head of Mexico’s Sinaloa Cartel, though Balarezo said at a hearing last month that he planned to show Guzman played a lesser role.

Reporting by Brendan Pierson in New York; Editing by Lisa Shumaker



Source link

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Walmart teams up with Ellen DeGeneres to launch fashion line
Venezuelan migrants
Russian hackers targeted U.S. Senate, think tanks: Microsoft
Air France-KLM shares fall, Dutch pilots threaten to strike
Factbox: Trump on Twitter (Aug 21) – Blue wave, Brennan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *